Ten reasons why we should spend locally
It's often said that we don't miss or appreciate things until they're gone. So how would our lives be affected if we didn't have village pubs, post offices or convenience stores? What if the disparate group of street traders who come together in our market towns every first Friday of the month to offer a wide range of produce and goods grown and made locally didn't turn up? What if that little delicatessen or bakers closed through lack of trade, or the family butchers that has been a feature of the town for generations was no longer there?
Buying locally-produced goods or spending money in local shops keeps wealth circulating in our communities, helping prosperity. Every pound spent in a market town or village shop will be spent another five times before leaving that community. Imagine how much business that is.
1. MONEY STAYS LONGER IN THE LOCAL ECONOMY
2. IT HELPS NURTURE THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITIES
3. IT HELPS PROMOTE TOURISM
4. IT HELPS PREVENT CLONE TOWNS
5. LOCAL BUSINESSES ARE GOOD NEIGHBOURS
6. IT'S BETTER FOR OUR PLANET
7. IT HELPS PRESERVE CHOICE AND DIVERSITY
8. IT HELPS PROMOTE COMPETITION AND BUSINESS INNOVATION
9. IT PROMOTES LOCAL DEMOCRACY
10. AND YOU'LL GET AN ENORMOUS SENSE OF WELL-BEING FROM DOING IT...